- The heat from the Earth could be used directly for heating systems in houses or buildings. The hot water close to the Earth's surface can be directly pumped into heating systems ensuring adequate supply.
- Generators in power plants require steam at extreme temperatures to operate. Therefore geothermal power plants are built near reservoirs to ensure better efficiency. Geothermal power plants use steam or hot water close to the surface to increase efficiency of standard thermal power plant, and this is how electricity is generated.
- Geothermal heat pumps are also used in exploiting geothermal energy. These pumps use water near the Earth's surface to control building temperatures.
Geothermal energy overview:
1. Geothermal energy - Quick overview (previous)
2. Geothermal energy - How to use (current)
3. Geothermal energy - Advantages and disadvantages (next)
4. Geothermal energy - Technology and power plants